Co-op Week is a time to reflect on the contributions the co-operative sector has made to the lives of Canadians and celebrate the impact that co-operatives have in our communities.
Co-op Week activities are held all across the country. Saskatchewan co-ops and credit unions are strong supporters of Co-op Week and don't hesitate to show their co-op pride. We use the week to celebrate our unique business model, as well as the contributions of co-op members -- and to proudly promote ourselves.
Co-op Week has been proclaimed across Canada every October since 1982. Co-op Week is always held fom the Sunday to the Saturday of the week in which International Credit Union Day falls. (ICU Day is always the third Thursday of October.) Learn more about 2022 national Co-op Week activities from the Co-operatives and Mutuals Canada website.
Co-op Week 2022: October 16 -22
Here are some of the events that took place in Saskatchewan during Co-op Week 2022. Click on the title to learn more.
- Co-op Week theme: "Co-operation in the World of Tomorrow". Dowloadable images and logos HERE.
- Co-op Week Flag Raising Ceremony, Monday, October 17th
- Co-op Week luncheon, Regina, Monday, October 17th
- Co-operative Merit Awards dinner and ceremony, Monday, October 17th
- #LocalCoopLove Scavenger Hunt, October 16 - 22
- International Credit Union Day, October 20, 2022
Co-op Week Flag Raising Ceremony
Download the invitation HERE. Or click on the image below to view a full-sized image suitable for sharing or printing.
Date: Monday, October 17, 2022
Time: 11:45 am
Location: Flag Pole Area, outside the Legislative Building in Regina
Cost: Event is free.
To attend the Flag Raising, you MUST RSVP.
Regina Co-op Week Luncheon
Download the invitation HERE. Or click on the image at right to view a full-sized image suitable for sharing or printing.
Date: Monday, October 17, 2022
Time: 12:00 pm
Location: Atlas Hotel, 4177 Albert Street, Regina.
Guest speaker: Marc-André Pigeon, Director of the Canadian Centre for Co-op Studies READ MORE ABOUT OUR SPEAKER.
Description: A lunch and learn session, with a guest speaker who will present on issues of interest to the co-operative sector.
Cost: Event is by donation.
To attend the luncheon, you MUST RSVP.
ANNUAL CO-OP WEEK FEATURE
The Saskatchewan Co-operative Association and its partners Prairie Dog and Planet S magazines are pleased to present the annual Co-op Week feature, which promotes Saskatchewan co-operatives, credit unions and stakeholders to those who may already know about co-ops, and to those who don't. Click here to read (6 pages including photos).
Join us in celebrating our own homegrown co‐op sector here in Saskatchewan through these articles celebrating our province's co-operative diversity and innovation.
International Credit Union Day: October 20, 2022
The 74th anniversary of International Credit Union Day (ICU Day) is set for Thursday, October 20, 2022. This year, we will gather as a global movement under the theme: "Empower Your Financial Future with a Credit Union."
International Credit Union Day celebrates the spirit of the global credit union movement. The day is recognized to reflect upon the credit union movement's history, promote its achievements, recognize hard work and share member experiences.
International Credit Union Day has been celebrated on the third Thursday of October since 1948. MORE.
LOOKING BACK: The Government of Saskatchewan proclaimed October 17-23, 2021 as Co-operatives Week in Saskatchewan to recognize the importance of co-operative businesses for our province's economy and communities. Presenting Jim Deane, president of the SCA board of directors, with the 2021 plaque is Muhammad Fiaz, MLA for Regina Pasqua.
Send information about your Co-op Week and Credit Union Day events to SCA so that we can help promote them. Tag us on social media @CoopNewsSK (Twitter), @SaskCoopAssociation (Facebook) and @coopcamprocks (Instagram).and we'll amplify your messages. Use the hashtags #CoopWeek, #CoopWeek2022 or #ICUDay.
Co-op Week 2022 logos in pre-formatted proportions. Click on the text at right to download. Facebook and general use English. Twitter English. LinkedIn English. Bilingual Graphic image in PDF format by request.
We encourage co-operatives to sing their praises and contributions all year long. But, here are some of the things that your co-operative or credit union can do during Co-op Week:
- Explain the various benefits of the co-operative business model for creating a sustainable economy in the province;
- Celebrate the significant contributions of co-operatives in communities across Saskatchewan;
- Promote the relevance of the co-operative model, its mission as a local and sustainable development tool, as well the values and principles that guide it. In other words, promote the Co-operative Identity – what makes us diverse and what unifies us;
- Explore inter-co-operation through Principle Six: Co-operation among Co-operatives;
- Develop a better understanding of the advantages of co-operation among the board, staff, members of the movement and the general public.*
- Share the Canada co-op map which indicates the co-op head offices in Saskatchewan or other region; https://crm.canada.coop/en/map;
- Show the Solving Challenges Together video to participants, and share it on your social media feeds; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b7n0zuEkp0&t=54s;
- Leverage Co-op Week materiel and awareness for your government relations activities and other meetings with your municipal, provincial and federal elected representatives.
Co-op Week is a great opportunity to promote the co-operative sector and tell Saskatchewan co-operative success stories. If you need some information or inspiration, download our information booklets or contact our office.
|Our co-operative information booklet, Saskatchewan Co-operatives: Supporting Economic Growth and Sustainability includes:
• general information about co-operatives
|SCA's Co-op Week Toolkit is your guide to creating a memorable, successful celebration. The toolkit includes information on what co-op week is, why it is celebrated, ideas for community involvement, building membership, educating youth, advertising your event and more.|
Co-op Week is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. The USA designates October as Co-op Month, while the International Co-operative Alliance and United Nations celebrate an International Day of Co-operatives on the first Saturday in July.
Co-op Day: The United Nations' (UN) International Day of Co-operatives is observed on the first Saturday of July each year. Some of the day's goals are to increase awareness on cooperatives, as well as strengthen and extend partnerships between the international co-operative movement and other supporting organizations including governments.
* Courtesy of the Ontario Co-operative Association