The Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Awards honour individuals and organizations that have made
an outstanding contribution to co-operatives and credit unions in Saskatchewan.
CO-OP MERIT AWARD TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
SCA has announced the eight recipients of the 2020 and 2021 Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Awards. The 2020 Merit Awards were deferred because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You are invited to join us on October 18th as we celebrate their achievements in an Awards Ceremony. (Event details below.)
LIFETIME CO-OPERATIVE ACHIEVEMENT
- STUART DYRLAND
- BRAD SCHULTZ
- MILTON KERPAN (posthumous)
CO-OPERATIVE YOUNG LEADER
- WES FILSON
- JOSH NOBLE
- KIM SCHMIDT
Brief biographies on all recipients can be found HERE.
Both 2020 and 2021 Merit Awards will be presented during an Awards ceremony on October 18th in Regina during Co-op Week and you’re invited to attend.
Join us on Monday, October 18th as we honour these eight individuals who have made outstanding contributions to co-operatives and credit unions.
Download the Awards ceremony flier - suitable for printing, posting or emailing - by clicking on the image below or using this LINK.
Awards Ceremony Details - book by October 8
- The Atlas Hotel, 4177 Albert St, Regina
- Reception 5.30pm. Dinner and awards ceremony at 6.30pm.
- Children are welcome; children’s rate available upon request.
- Deadline to order tickets is October 8.
- COVID protocols will be in place.
We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Government of Saskatchewan, Ministry of Trade and Export Development for their support of Co-op Week and the Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Awards.
With the new Saskatchewan Government Public Health Measures recently announced, please note that for our upcoming Co-op Week events:
- Masking will be required for our indoor events
- Proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test will be required for attendance at our indoor events
- Registered attendees will be provided with additional details in advance of the events.
Nominations closed June 15, 2021
Click on the link below to quickly move to that section
Awards are presented in some or all of the following four categories. To download a copy of these categories and the eligibility requirements, click HERE.
LIFETIME CO-OPERATIVE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
For long, varied and meritorious service by individuals in volunteer and/or elected positions within co-operatives and credit unions.
Eligibility: Current or former Saskatchewan residents who have served as elected officials, volunteers and members of co-operatives and credit unions locally, provincially, nationally or internationally.
CO-OPERATIVE CONTRIBUTION AWARD
For those who inspire others as a role model, leader and mentor through the development and expansion of co-operatives and credit unions, or increasing awareness and understanding of co-operatives and co-op principles.
Eligibility: Current or former Saskatchewan residents, such as employees, elected officials, volunteers and members of co-operatives and credit unions.
CO-OPERATIVE ENTERPRISE AWARD
For leadership, innovation and achievement in co-operative business and member service initiatives for the social and economic development of the co-operative sector.
Eligibility: Co-operatives, credit unions and organizations working on behalf of the co-operative sector, operating in Saskatchewan. Organizations may be nominated or self-nominate.
CO-OPERATIVE YOUNG LEADERS AWARD
For outstanding contribution by a young person to co-operatives and credit unions in Saskatchewan.
Eligibility: Saskatchewan residents under age 36 (at the time of nomination) who have demonstrated personal support of and involvement in at least one co-operative or credit union.
Follow these eight nomination steps. NOMINATIONS HAVE CLOSED FOR THIS YEAR.
- Identify a person or an organization that has made an outstanding contribution to co-operatives and credit unions in Saskatchewan.
- Select an Awards category. (You may submit nominations for different people or organizations in multiple categories.)
- Gather information to support the nomination, using these nomination form questions as your guide. As you develop your nomination, remember that the Selection Committee is looking for stories and details of the actions your nominee has taken and how your nominee has created a positive impact.
- Nominations will be reviewed by a Selection Committee. Both nominees and nominators will be notified by letter if the nominee has been selected as an award recipient.
- Award recipients will be required to validate the accuracy of the information, and consent to the publishing of any photographs or information provided by the nominator.
- The combined 2020 and 2021 Awards will be presented during National Co-op Week (Oct. 17-23, 2021).
- Nominations for individuals not selected as an award recipient can be revised and re-submitted in a subsequent year. Self nominations for the Co-operative Enterprise Award are welcome.
NOMINATION PACKAGE TIPS
- Download and review the sample nomination form. This PDF version of the nomination form shows all of the nomination questions so that you can prepare your nomination information and documents in advance before completing your online submission. Note that this PDF is not fillable and will not save your answers.
- Create your nomination package in MS Word and cut and paste the answers into the online nomination form in case you experience technical difficulties with the online system.
- Include specific examples of the nominee's contributions to the betterment of each co-operative they've been involved with. Provide examples of the role they played in some of the
milestones or significant achievements of the organization. We recommend that you share stories of the impact your nominee has had.
- You may need to gather information from other co-operatives or organizations they've been involved in. Supporting materials such as letters of support, resumes or other documentation are welcome. Letters of support strengthen your nomination! Ask those who have worked or served with the nominee to write a letter outlining stories and specific examples of the nominee’s contributions to co-operatives.
- Nominations are not only assessed on length of service, but also on the specific contributions and innovations the nominee has made to the organization(s) and the community while in each role.
- Be sure to include names and/or contact information for any media that we should contact if the nominee is selected, such as local tv and radio stations, newspapers, etc. Also include any trade publications, federations/associations or professional networks that should be notified.
- Completed nomination packages must be submitted online or reach the SCA office by 11:59pm on June 15, 2021 to be considered.
2019 Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Award Recipients
The 2019 Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Awards ceremony and banquet took place on October 15, 2019. For the 40th anniversary of the Merit Awards, the Saskatchewan co-operative sector honoured recipients
- Morley Doerksen (Lifetime Co-operative Achievement Award),
- Fran Moran (Co-operative Young Leaders Award),
- Affinity Credit Union (Co-operative Enterprise Award) and
- Conexus Credit Union (Co-operative Enterprise Award).
Find out more about them through their video profiles below. Thanks to Access Communications Co-operative Limited for helping us produce these videos, the Ministry of Trade and Export Development for helping sponsor the program, and The Co-operators, who printed the programs for us.
Affinity Credit Union
Conexus Credit Union
Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Award Archives
To view the Co-operative Merit Awards video profiles for past years, please visit our Co-operative Merit Awards Archive.