Position Title: Program Officer
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Duration: Full Time
The Saskatchewan Co-operative Association (SCA) is the apex organization for the province’s 800+ co-operatives and credit unions. SCA works to support and promote the co-operative model for community and economic development. A core program of the SCA is Camp Kindling. Founded in 1928, Camp Kindling (previously known as Saskatchewan Co-operative Youth Retreat) has been leading Co-operative Youth Education in Saskatchewan for 94 years.
The co-ed summer camp is designed for youth aged 12-18 and focuses on co-operative education and leadership skills. The aim of Camp Kindling is to contribute to the personal development of youth and encourage their active involvement in community and co-operative organizations. The uniqueness of the program stems from its ability to provide a co-operative, participatory learning experience for young people, co-op staff, and volunteers.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Officer will be responsible for developing, delivering, and growing SCA’s youth programing. The Program Officer will plan and organize annual camps, provide leadership and supervision to program staff and volunteers, manage stakeholder engagement, develop and manage communications, sponsorship and the annual budget, and organize resources to assist in the delivery of the organization’s youth programs and services.
Plan, Organize and Staff Annual Camp
- Plan and implement the delivery of the SCA youth programs in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization.
- Ensure activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization and are delivered to meet relevant legislation and professional standards.
- Design and deliver curriculum in a variety of formats to engage youth in the program.
- Develop and manage an annual budget and operating plan to support the youth program.
- Develop and monitor program activities, conduct annual evaluations, review programming, and make recommendations to improve or enhance curriculum, policies, or procedures.
- Recruit, interview and supervise program assistants, sector camp staff, and volunteers. Ensure all staff receive appropriate training and adhere to the policies and procedures of the program.
Communication and Advocacy of Youth Programming
- Develop and manage communication channels as well as curate content to engage with key stakeholders of the program.
- Secure external funding and sponsorships and increase SCA member association sponsorship of youth programming initiatives.
- Work with member associations to promote youth engagement and involvement within the sector.
- Promote volunteer opportunities and engage sector organizations to support youth programming financially and through volunteer staffing opportunities.
- Prepare program reports for the Executive Director, Board of Director, and member organizations.
- Manage the SCA Office, in the absence of the Executive Director, including supervision, directing staff, and decision making.
- Attend and take minutes at quarterly Board and Member meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Strong knowledge and understanding of co-operatives, co-operative business model and governance.
- Outstanding organization skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Process strong development and leadership skills.
- Proficient with various types of technology, programs, and social media.
- Experience with developing and managing budgets and financials.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with staff, peers, network employees, and volunteers.
- Exceptional time management skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing situations.
- Post-secondary education in Education, Social Sciences, Co-operatives, Community Development, Non-Profit, Recreation Management or a related discipline is preferred.
- Experience with co-operatives and/or Camp Kindling (or the Saskatchewan Co-operative Youth Program) would be considered an asset.
- Experience working with youth, managing youth programming, or youth camps considered an asset.
- A combination of education and experience would be considered.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a clear Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Generous Benefits package
- Pension Plan matching
- 3 weeks annual paid vacation
- Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000
Application Deadline and Process:
Please send resume and cover letter to the SCA Executive Director by 5:00 pm, September 16, 2022.