Co-op Week is a time to reflect on the contributions the co-operative sector has made to the lives of Canadians and celebrate the impact that co-operatives have in our communities.
Co-op Week activities are held all across the country. Saskatchewan co-ops and credit unions are strong supporters of Co-op Week and don't hesitate to show their co-op pride. We use the week to celebrate our unique business model, as well as the contributions of co-op members -- and to proudly promote ourselves.
Co-op Week has been proclaimed across Canada every October since 1982. International Credit Union Day has been celebrated worldwide on the third Thursday of October since 1948. Co-op Week dates each year are from the Sunday to the Saturday of the week in which International Credit Union Day falls. (ICU Day is always the third Thursday of October).
CO-OP WEEK 2019: OCTOBER 13 - 19, 2019
CO-OP WEEK 2019 EVENTS
- Flag Raising Ceremony, Saskatchewan Legislature. October 15. Details below
- RSVP required by Friday, October 4, 2019 for both the Luncheon and the Flag Raising Ceremony
- Co-op Week Luncheon, Regina. October 15. Details below
- Co-op Week event, Saskatoon. Details to be announced.
- Co-operative Merit Awards banquet and awards ceremony. October 15. Details below.
- Last date to book hotel rooms at our special rate is September 27th. Last date to order Awards banquet and ceremony tickets is October 4th.
Many Co-op Week events and activities in Saskatchewan are sponsored in part by the Ministry of Trade and Export Development.
JOIN US AT THE CO-OPERATIVE MERIT AWARDS BANQUET ON TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15.
We will honour two individuals and two organizations who have made outstanding contributions to co-operatives and credit unions.
Click HERE to learn about our Co-operative Merit Award Recipients.
Click on the image above to download the banquet brochure.
CEREMONY DATE AND LOCATION
The ceremony will be held at the Travelodge Hotel Regina, 4177 Albert Street, Regina.
Reception 5:30 p.m. / Dinner and Awards Ceremony 6:30 p.m.
TICKET PRICES AND DEADLINES
Children’s rate available upon request. Please advise us of any dietary requirements.
SPECIAL HOTEL RATE AVAILABLE UNTIL SEPTEMBER 27
Hotel rooms may be booked at the special block rate of $129.95+ taxes until September 27th (estended from Sept 13)
FLAG RAISING CEREMONY
Attend the Flag-Raising Ceremony to recognize Co-operatives Week in Saskatchewan
Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:45 AM
Flag Pole Area, outside at the Legislative Building, Regina, Saskatchewan
Immediately following the Flag Raising Ceremony, the Co-operative Council of Regina invites you to their annual Co-op Week Luncheon
CO-OP WEEK LUNCHEON, REGINA
Travelodge Hotel Regina, 4177 Albert Street
The luncheon will feature Aaron Tootoosis, Speakers’ Bureau member of the Office of the Treaty Commissioner, presenting on Treaty Education and Reconciliation Awareness.
Luncheon registration starts at 12:00 PM, Luncheon at 12:15 PM.The luncheon is free.
Donations to the Co-operative Development Foundation of Canada will be accepted (cash or cheque).
ADVERTISE IN THE CO-OP WEEK PUBLICATION
This special editorial feature will appear in the October 10th issues of Prairie Dog and Planet S magazines (the province’s only co-operative media outlets) during Co-operative Week (October 13–19).
The feature, which profiles co-operatives throughout the province, will reach nearly 120,000 readers. Ad sizes range from 1/10th page to full page, and prices start at $346. The ad deadline is September 20. Click on the image at left to get all the information you need.
This is a great opportunity to promote your co-op, credit union or sector stakeholder organization while showing support for the Saskatchewan co-operative sector. To view last year's Co-op Week feature as it appeared in Planet S Magazine, click HERE.
WHAT IS YOUR CO-OP OR CREDIT UNION DOING FOR CO-OP WEEK?
While we encourage co-operatives to sing their praises and contributions all year long, here are some of the things that YOUR co-operative can do during Co-op Week:
- Explain the various benefits of the co-operative business model for creating a sustainable economy in the province
- Celebrate the significant contributions of co-operatives in communities across Saskatchewan
- Promote the relevance of the co-operative model, its mission as a local and sustainable development tool, as well the values and principles that guide it. In other words, promote the Co-operative Identity – what makes us diverse and what unifies us
- Explore inter-co-operation through Principle Six: Co-operation among Co-operatives
- Develop a better understanding of the advantages of co-operation among the board, staff, members of the movement and the general public*
Please send information about your Co-op Week and Credit Union Day events to SCA so that we can help promote them. Tag @CoopNewsSK in your social media posts and use the hashtags #CoopWeek or #ICUDay and we will amplify your messages.
These are some of the activities we were part of during Co-op Week 2018:
Click on an activity to skip to that item on this page.
- Co-op Week Flag Raising Ceremony at the Legislative Building (Oct. 15, in Regina)
- Co-operative Council of Regina’s Co-op Week Luncheon (Oct. 15, in Regina)
- Saskatchewan Co-operative Merit Awards ceremony and banquet (Oct. 15, in Regina)
- Saskatoon Co-op Network and SCA’s Saskatoon Co-op Week event – film screening of A Silent Transformation (Oct. 17, Saskatoon)
- International Credit Union Day (Oct. 18, everywhere)
- Many local events
Click HERE to read Co-op Week 2018 publications and news stories.
FLAG RAISING CEREMONY AT THE SASKATCHEWAN LEGISLATURE
Everett Hindley, Legislative Secretary for the Ministry of Trade and Export Development (left), presents the province’s Declaration of Co-op Week to Jim Deane, Chair of the SCA Board of Directors, during the provincial Flag Raising Ceremony at the Saskatchewan legislature on October 15th.
MLAs Laura Ross (Regina Rochdale) and Muhammad Fiaz (Regina Pasqua) joined co-op guests and media on October 15th during the Flag Raising Ceremony at the Saskatchewan legislature to launch Co-op Week.
CO-OP WEEK LUNCHEON, REGINA
The Co-operative Council of Regina presented its annual Co-op Week luncheon on October 15th, this year hosted by Doug Alexander. The guest speaker was Jim Deane, President and CEO of Access Communications Co-operative Limited.
SCREENING OF "A SILENT TRANSFORMATION", SASKATOON
The October 17th screening of "A Silent Transformation"was sponsored by Affinity Credit Union and hosted by SCA and the Co-op Network of Saskatoon. Following the film, Marc-Andre Pigeon (Centre for the Study of Co-operatives), Dave Palibroda (Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative) and Audra Krueger (Co-operatives First) took part in a panel discussion, moderated by Paul Thompson (Centre for the Study of Co-operatives).
Watch the film trailer here:
Co-op Week is a great opportunity to promote the co-operative sector and tell Saskatchewan co-operative success stories. If you need some information or inspiration, download our information booklets or contact our office.
|Our co-operative information booklet, Saskatchewan Co-operatives: Supporting Economic Growth and Sustainability includes:
• general information about co-operatives
|SCA's Co-op Week Toolkit is your guide to creating a memorable, successful celebration. The toolkit includes information on what co-op week is, why it is celebrated, ideas for community involvement, building membership, educating youth, advertising your event and more.|
Co-op Week is a uniquely Canadian phenomenon. The USA designates October as Co-op Month, while the International Co-operative Alliance and United Nations celebrate an International Day of Co-operatives on the first Saturday in July.
Co-op Day: The United Nations' (UN) International Day of Co-operatives is observed on the first Saturday of July each year. Some of the day's goals are to increase awareness on cooperatives, as well as strengthen and extend partnerships between the international cooperative movement and other supporting organizations including governments.
* Courtesy of the Ontario Co-operative Association